Tuesday, March 15, 2011

ComfortFood Night

One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE things to do for comfort is EAT.  And as it happens, I love to cook. I have cooked since I was a young girl, and as a single young adult- I cooked often for my single friends. It was my way to nurture. I felt like I was feeding them more than food. Its really an extention of my love-

Feeding is even referenced in the Scriptures- to be fed the Bread of Life and drink of the Living Water-the Savior knew that many besides myself would understand the comfort that  symbolism represents. Ah, food. Its so much more  than the stuff that sustains.
The irony that I married a man whose dietary needs were and still are able to be met by frozen burritos, lean pockets and chips and dip- well- the irony is not lost on me. He enjoys my cooking though- and swears I make the BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES EVER.   He has become more interested in food over the past 8 yrs! Even so, he works at night so I usually only cook simple dinners for Eva and myself.

So as its usually just E and I to cook for lately, I jump at the chance to feed others.   In my Church we tend to new mothers and the ill by making their families dinner- its so fun for me to cook for more than TWO.
I am so excited because TONIGHT I m bringing a friend  sourdough bread,  potato soup and all the toppings and for dessert: strawberries and warm brownies. Its pouring down rain, its nt that the perfect comfort food- warm soup and warm chocolate. And yes, I made a little extra for myself and Eva!
Hope ya'll enjoy this one!
Heres the Potato soup recipe -
My adaptations:
I used 6 large potatoes almost all peeled, used chicken stock instead of boullion and water  I did not add the bacon (that will be a topping) added 1 cup of chopped ham and sauteed the onion and celery in the bacon grease until soft-before adding to potatoes- adeded some thyme, parsley and ground pepper to the pototoes while they boiled
 oh and used heavy cream cuz I didn't have half and half- its fabulous- just wish my printer would upload the pics!

  • 8 unpeeled potatoes, cubed

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 2 stalks celery, diced

  • 6 cubes chicken bouillon

  • 1 pint half-and-half cream

  • 1 pound bacon - cooked and crumbled

  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

  • Directions

    1. In a large stock pot combine potatoes, onions, celery, bouillon cubes and enough water to cover all ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat until potatoes are with in 15 minutes of being finished.
    2. Add half and half, bacon, cream of mushroom soup and stir until creamy. Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Simmer on low until potatoes are done.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment