Friday, February 24, 2012

NEW CAST...BLUE CAST...

NUMBER #2 CAST!
I love the way that sounds Dr Seussish ...don't you?
So friends and family...I have to say I am not ALWAYS OBEDIENT. Stop gasping in mock horror...I know its a slight problem of mine to think I am right. My solution is the better solution. Man has that ever come and hit me in the face. Or rather, little pinkie toe.
Its still numb...
And my orthotist said today...in 38 years...this has never happened to him. Well, he never had ME as a patient...(I thought proudly, and smugly that I had stumped him- haha stumped..get it.. prosthetics is his gig...hehehe) So he decided to cast me exposing the little toe more and made me promise to take it off at any point of pain. Because the nerve would feel pain...due to the fact that that area was not numb, just my little toe.

Then Eva wanted blue and we got to casting. Asked him sweetly about my future brace and types of shoes and he said lace up exercise shoes will be fine... and I said what about other kinds? He said he would not even attempt to wonder, because he isn't sure what kind of brace I am gonna have at this point.
Because I'm a stubborn I can do this by myself kind of girl, I did not call for back up to watch Eva or drive me like the OTHER TWO APPOINTMENTS. Really thought he wasn't gonna cast me, and truly felt like it would waste someone's time.
 So after casting he said go ahead and wait, we will wheel you out to your car...and you can go straight home and put on  you shoe.
HAHA ...I said, "we couldn't find any shoes".
"Impossible!" he said..."just get a 11 or 12 in woman'e lace up..like Converse...and open up the laces until it fits...I told you that week one...what have you been doing for walking?" The light bulb turned on in his head..."you have been walking with your toes exposed? BUT THIS ISN'T THAT KIND OF A CAST! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SHOE! You cannot walk without a shoe...its probably how you got hurt....you may NOT  walk without a shoe."
In my defense, I EXPLAINED...I tried slippers, but I didn't want to buy
 some big, ol clown shoe...that would be so much more difficult to walk in, and, AHEM, SLOW ME DOWN.  He looked at me and said ....."THATS KINDA THE POINT. What is so wrong with slowing down? You HAVE TO SLOW DOWN."

Now this said,I called a lot of people last miunute to assist me to getting"shoe compliant" cuz I can't just sit on my duff all week- I have things to DO. But no one was available.  The cast is heavy and does slow me down and I chose to drag Eva SLOWLY  through the mall to Payless Shoes and I promised she could get an ice cream if she helped me...she did great...so proud of my little woogie! I went to Payless and got me a big ol clown shoe and matchers in the right size to attempt to help balance and gait.
 Eva said after getting the cone..."momma you know I know what you are thinking..."
"What baby?"
" You want to go sit and eat ice cream down by the fountain..."(I did not...but she was so sweet...we hobbled our way down there!)Pictures will post to facebook, and I will add here later.
Moral of the story kids....a clown shoe today is worth no numb toes tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment