Thursday, July 21, 2011

PIZZA EXPERIMENT

We are admitted pizza snobs in our home. We adore Round Table Pizza. We love the sauce( my hubby gets extra sauce! ) We love the thick crusty bread. But WE HATE THE PRICE. Because of our different tastes, Frank gets a pizza and I get a  pizza...and its about $24 a pop to have pizza night.  We have pizza night about 2 times a month. UGG. Thats $50 a month! Thats $600 a year! THATS A DISNEY VACATION kids!
So in the spirit of trying to SAVE MONEY......FRUGALITY CAN BE YOUR FRIEND PEOPLE....
Heres what I did for our first HOME MADE PIZZA NIGHT .... I needed to copy the sauce and the crust...so heres what I did:

Pizza Sauce Recipe
  • 3(6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 10  ish fluid ounces warm water
  • 3 teaspoon minced garlic (I used powdered garlic )
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • Salt/black pepper  to taste
I mixed the paste and water first- I “eyed” it – using can to measure water and it must  STAY THICK SO IT STICKS TO YOUR SPOON WHEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN.  
Then I added all of the dried ingredients – and added a bit more sugar and red pepper flakes to taste.
Please, please taste test your sauce. Then taste it again in an hour...adjust to your own liking. if you just CANT  taste cold sauce...warm it a bit in micro!
Then you gotta let the flavors marinate in the fridge at LEAST 2 HOURS.
Next time I will add cayenne pepper too- just a tad. My husband said it WAS REALLY AWESOME! He loved it. It is VERY CLOSE TO Round Table Pizza Sauce recipe . Sorry no pics… my computer is not reading my printer and I cant upload pics yet.
Please note- this made A LOT OF SAUCE -  we only used half- but I am planning on freezing the rest today for future use!
Crust wise, I totally cheated . I will be picking my friend’s brain and going scratch VERY SOON.
This time I used Rhodes rolls to make the crust. Thawed(I put frozen rolls covered w plastic wrap outside- the 90 degree heat thawed the rolls in NO TIME!)  and rolled together then rolled out and I pulled it so the crust part would be “thick crust”- Franks was 9 rolls mine was 7 rolls – think 9 inch pizza and 7 inch pizza.  I let Frank and my crust “rise” for 30 minutes after I put on the pan then put fork marks in the bottom to avoid bubble up.
(EVA WAS NOT WILLING TO WAIT-  we made hers with not risen crust in a pie tin- hers came out BEAUTIFUL IF A BIT BURNT... she ate the whole four inch pie!)
I will say that the bottom for Frank and my pizzas were  TOO SOGGY. Sad. I am gonna invest in that pizza stone now.   The crust part was so perfect fresh, yeasty, and thick- just like Round Tables.
Please note use WHOLE MILK MOZZERELLA...  and perhaps mix up the cheeses a bit - mine was low fat, and didnt melt or string like I would have liked....Next time...Its gonna be pizza heaven!
Heres the price run down:
Rhodes Rolls bought 72 rolls for$5.98
used 20 rolls: $1.60
sauce cans 62 cents each-$1.86
spices had in my cupboard
used half of the mozzerella cheese - $3.00
tomato from garden -free
pepperoni $4.00 a pkg for 90 pepperoni we used like 20
about $1.00
Artichoke hearts about 6 est $1.00
total: about $8.46 for all of our pizzas!!! and it tastes sooooo much better than RT!!!!YAY!!!!!!
$31 DOLLARS SAVED EACH MONTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment